forgot pass?
Keep me Logged In
Hide Session

Guide: How to Get Pokemon to X/Y Using the "R4" Method

Discuss anything related to Pokemon X & Y.
Spectrelepsy

Guide: How to Get Pokemon to X/Y Using the "R4" Method

Postby Spectrelepsy » Thu May 22, 2014 7:36 am

I've seen a few people wondering how to get pokemon to their X/Y and OR/AS now that the GTS is down. One method is using a Flash Card. You don't know how to you say? Well then, let me show you how.

I'll explain it step by step for the Flash Card Method (R4, M3, Acekard etc..). I'll use the M3 and Pokemon Black as an example but it works the same for any flash card and Pokemon Version you use:

Hardware/Software required:
  • Micro SD Card
  • Flash Card (R4, M3, Acekard etc.. etc..)
  • A legit 5th Gen Pokemon cartridge (Black/White/Black 2/White 2)
  • Two DS/3DS to use for trading pokemon between the flash card & legit pokemon cartridge.
  • Spare pokemon to trade on your legit Pokemon cartridge. (Junk Pokemon)
  • A pokemon save editor such as Pokesav or PokeGen. If your using Pokesav, make sure you have the correct version.
  • An active subscription to Pokemon Bank as well as the application and Pokemon Transporter on your 3DS.
  • A Pokemon Black/White/Black 2/White 2 rom. (We will not supply you with one)
  • Pokemon .sav file that has access to the Union Room.
1. Insert your Micro SD card that you use on your M3 into your computer. If your PC doesn't have a port to insert Micro SD cards then you can use an external USB device to do so such as most smart/android phones or anything else of the sort. I personally use a USB Micro SD Reader (They go anywhere from $5 - $40).

2. Drag your save file for Pokemon Black (in my case it looks like "Pokemon Black Version.sav") from your Micro SD Card to somewhere on your PC. I like to make a separate folder to organize my Save & PKM files so their not scattered on my desktop.

3. Start up Pokegen or Pokesav and open up your "Pokemon Black Version.sav".
  • If using Pokesav, click on the button in the left had corner that says "open" and select your "Pokemon Black Version.sav" file
  • If using Pokegen, click on "File" and then "Open" and select your "Pokemon Black Version.sav." Also, go to "Options" and then "Target Game" and select "Black/White" (Remember, I'm using Pokemon Black as an example for this guide)
4. Using the Pokemon Maker on PokEdit, create your Pokemon (remember to use the "Legal Analysis" so you know they'll make it to the Pokemon Bank) and then when your done, download the ".PKM". Again, make a folder on your PC to organize your ".PKM's" so that you don't lose them.

5. Inject the ".PKM's" into your "Pokemon Black Version.sav" using Pokegen/Pokesav. I won't tell you how to do that in this guide as there are already many guides on how to do that already,

6. After you're done injecting pokemon into your "Pokemon Black Version.sav", save the changes you've made and then close Pokegen/Pokesav.

7. Drag your "Pokemon Black Version.sav" back onto your Micro SD Card and paste over your unedited "Pokemon Black Version.sav".

8. Insert your Micro SD card into your M3 and start up Pokemon Black and also start up your 2nd DS with your legit Pokemon Black cartridge.

9. Use the Union Room to trade pokemon from your Pokemon Black on your M3 to your legit Pokemon Black cartridge. Important: Remember, unlike how the GTS worked, you have to trade pokemon so make sure your legit Pokemon Black has spare pokemon to trade over to the Pokemon Black on your Flash Card

10. Vuala!!! You can now use your legit cartridge of Pokemon Black to send pokemon to the Pokemon Bank and send them to your Pokemon X/Y and OR/AS.

While this is very tedious and time consuming, it's still a way to get pokemon over to your X/Y and OR/AS if you own a flash card and own 2 DS/3DS, that is until a 6th gen GTS hack comes into play. Enjoy! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Tips and Additional Info:
  1. When creating Pokemon, make sure to attach a Master Ball on them. This way you can easily catch pokemon in your legit cartridge for trading to your Flash card. 
  2. Turn down the volume on both DS as it'll drive you insane while trading.
  3. If you need a Micro SD Card Reader you can purchase the one FlameSpeedster owns here on Amazon.
  4. Any handheld in the "Nintendo DS Family" will work for this guide. A handheld in the "Nintendo 3DS Family" is still required though.
  5. Pokemon Black/White/Black 2/White 2 can be bought in the PokEdit Store if needed.
GNwrzFJ.png

FlameSpeedster
IGN: Kyle
0834-2271-2656
3DS Friend Code

Re: Guide: How to Get Pokemon to X/Y Using the "R4" Method

Postby FlameSpeedster » Thu May 22, 2014 9:15 am

Good guide. I'll sticky it for now. Also note (even though he says this) a DS and 3DS can work too. You don't need two DSs.
Leader of the Community Moderators
Thanks to SgtGuava for the signature!

Spectrelepsy

Postby Spectrelepsy » Thu May 22, 2014 9:45 am

Thanks for the sticky. Hopefully this guide helps out a few people out who own a Flash Card as we have no idea when a gen 6 GTS hack will be released. Hopefully sooner then later but until then, this will do the trick. And yeah, I just use my DS & DSi XL for trading pokemon but it works if you have a DS & 3DS. I only use the DS because my M3 DS Simply flash card isn't compatible with the DSi XL or the 3DS sad .
GNwrzFJ.png

andrew20080

Postby andrew20080 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:28 am

Would a action replay work for this?

Spectrelepsy

Postby Spectrelepsy » Thu May 22, 2014 11:39 am

andrew20080 wrote:

Would a action replay work for this?

I'm not sure what you mean as this method doesn't include using an Action Replay. Are you asking if an Action Replay will allow you to copy your save from your Micro SD or legit game cartridge to your PC?
GNwrzFJ.png

torkam

Postby torkam » Fri May 23, 2014 3:10 pm

Since I only have 1 console, is it oossible to maybe trade pokemon between my 3ds with the retail cartridge and an emulator like desmume?
If that doesnt work then I guess the only way to do it without two consoles is to just use a save dongle right?

FlameSpeedster
IGN: Kyle
0834-2271-2656
3DS Friend Code

Postby FlameSpeedster » Fri May 23, 2014 3:35 pm

torkam wrote:

Since I only have 1 console, is it oossible to maybe trade pokemon between my 3ds with the retail cartridge and an emulator like desmume? If that doesnt work then I guess the only way to do it without two consoles is to just use a save dongle right?

No. Emulators can't connect with real games.
Leader of the Community Moderators
Thanks to SgtGuava for the signature!

|M|
IGN: Mike
3110-5466-2984
3DS Friend Code

Postby |M| » Fri May 23, 2014 4:03 pm

FlameSpeedster wrote:

torkam wrote:

Since I only have 1 console, is it oossible to maybe trade pokemon between my 3ds with the retail cartridge and an emulator like desmume? If that doesnt work then I guess the only way to do it without two consoles is to just use a save dongle right?

No. Emulators can't connect with real games.

Wrong. They can with WinPCap and proper wireless adapter settings.
photo Newsig_zpsa083af8a.png

Trikeboy

Postby Trikeboy » Fri May 23, 2014 5:07 pm

Only one DS/3DS? You can still get your Pokemon onto your game, without using a rom.  

1. Get a flash cart, download savegame manager, smallftp and Pokegen.  

2. Install savegame manager onto your flash cart.  Install and set up smallftp. (Google will help you set them up)

3. Use savegame manager to export your save to your PC via FTP.  

4. Open the .sav via Pokegen and add your Pokemon.  

5.Import the .sav using savegame manager back into the retail cart.  

Bingo, You have your Pokemon.  Takes a bit longer but it is still possible.

Download links:

https://code.google.com/p/savegame-manager/downloads/list

http://smallftpd.sourceforge.net/

http://www.pokedit.com/download/pokegen.php

Spectrelepsy

Postby Spectrelepsy » Fri May 23, 2014 7:25 pm

Trikeboy wrote:

Only one DS/3DS? You can still get your Pokemon onto your game, without using a rom.  

1. Get a flash cart, download savegame manager, smallftp and Pokegen.  

2. Install savegame manager onto your flash cart.  Install and set up smallftp. (Google will help you set them up)

3. Use savegame manager to export your save to your PC via FTP.  

4. Open the .sav via Pokegen and add your Pokemon.  

5.Import the .sav using savegame manager back into the retail cart.  

Bingo, You have your Pokemon.  Takes a bit longer but it is still possible.

Download links:

https://code.google.com/p/savegame-manager/downloads/list

http://smallftpd.sourceforge.net/

http://www.pokedit.com/download/pokegen.php

Actually a friend of mine and I attempted to do that with Pokemon White last night, spending about 7 hours with it but we had no luck :( . We checked out a few guides and tried a few different pieces of homebrew for the DS but it was a no-go. If you or anyone else manages to get it to work, let me know exactly how as I'd gladly love to edit my Pokemon White save. I've got a Pokemon Black save on my M3 DS Simply flash card that has just about all the pokemon 100% legit for pokebank and it'd be much easier to just toss them into my Pokemon white save file save editing.
GNwrzFJ.png

Return to “Pokemon X & Y”